- January 3, 2023
- Catharine Brown, Email Marketing Manager
You’d think opening a PDF file was as easy as opening Foxit PDF Editor and selecting File > Open. And it is! Yet there are many more customizations you can make to how PDF Editor opens PDF files for you. Here are where you’ll find the options and what they do when you select them.
First, begin by opening preferences by going to File > Preferences on the lower left.
Next, click Documents.
Here, you’ll be presented with a variety of options in the Open Settings dialog box. They include:
- Allow multiple instances: This means the same Foxit PDF Editor app will run twice (or more) on one computer or device. So, each time you double-click to open a PDF file, PDF Editor will create a new Foxit PDF Editor window.
- Alert a user when documents request Full Screen: This one’s pretty self-explanatory. If you open a PDF that has been defined to open in full-screen mode, you’ll get an alert each time. That’s handy if a full-screen experience might hide other windows you have open at the same time.
- In Web Browser, display PDF in Read Mode by default: This preference opens a PDF in Read Mode automatically in your web browser. That means when you go to a website to view a PDF in a browser that uses PDF Editor to display PDFs, the PDF will be shown in a way that hides much of the interface, including the navigation pane, toolbar, and status bar, to maximize the document display area. This saves screen space and lets you read PDFs in the browser with fewer distractions.
- In Foxit PDF Editor, please choose the mode for Display PDF Mode: This option allows you to display PDFs you open in Read Mode, Full Screen Mode or the normal way automatically when opening PDFs with Foxit PDF Editor. That way, if you have a preferred way of viewing PDFs, you don’t have to change preferences every time you open one.
As you can see, there are a few other options in the Documents window, and most are fairly self-explanatory. Try them out and see what feels comfortable and most productive for you!