- January 9, 2024
- Amit Kumar, Digital Marketing Team
In the digital age, PDFs have become a ubiquitous format for sharing and storing documents. However, managing multiple PDF files can be a challenge, especially when you need to combine them into a single, organized document.
Fortunately, merging PDFs on Windows is a straightforward process that can save you time and effort. In this article, we’ll explore different methods to seamlessly merge PDF files on your Windows system. But first, let’s explore some background on the Portable Document Format, aka, PDF documents.
What is PDF?
Adobe Systems developed the Portable Document Format (PDF), a file format that is universally recognized. The format is widely used for presenting and exchanging documents, regardless of the software, operating system, or hardware.
The PDF format is the complete description of the flat-layout document. It includes the fonts, graphics and all other information.
What is the purpose of combining PDF files on Windows?
You can reduce the amount of folders in the Documents section on your computer by merging PDF files. From old reports to tax records and invoices, you can combine them all. It’s possible to combine PDFs in order to more effectively send documents. It’s easier to let a colleague view your two PDFs if you provide them with a single link. You may have had a project, such as a project for a team or job application, split up into multiple PDFs and need to merge them. You’re lucky if any of the above are true for you. It’s easy to learn how you can combine PDF files on Windows 10.
When I combine PDF files with Windows, will I lose the formatting?
You shouldn’t encounter any formatting issues when you combine PDFs using Foxit PDF Editor. You will not have to worry about the formatting. The only thing you may need to do is reorder the pages you’ve combined or rotate them. Continue reading this article to find out how you can merge PDF files with Windows.
Combine PDF files online using your Windows device with our online PDF merger tool
Follow these steps to merge multiple PDFs together into one document:
- Drag your PDF files onto our online PDF combiner. You will see the files that you have added under this free tool.
- Click the up and down arrows to reorder files. Or click on the Trash button to remove a particular file.
- To combine PDFs online, click “Start Now”.
- When the file is merged, a dialog box will appear. You can then download it.
Combine PDF files Using Other Online Tools
In addition to the online Foxit PDF merger tool, several other online tools provide a quick and easy way to merge PDF files without the need for any software installation. Here’s a simple guide using Smallpdf as an example to combine PDFs:
- Visit Smallpdf: Open your web browser and navigate to the Smallpdf website.
- Select ‘Merge PDF’: Click on the ‘Merge PDF’ option on the homepage.
- Upload Files:
○ Drag and drop the PDF files you want to merge onto the webpage.
○ Arrange them in the desired order.
- Merge PDF: Click on the ‘Merge’ button to start the merging process.
- Download the combined PDF: Once the process is complete, download the combined PDF to your computer.
That’s all you need for a PDF merger.
Using Foxit PDF Editor for merging PDF files on Windows
Foxit PDF Editor is a widely used PDF reader that also offers robust features for manipulating PDF documents, including merging multiple files. Follow these steps to create a merged file:
- Download and Install Foxit PDF Editor: If you don’t already have Foxit PDF Editor installed on your system, download and install it from the official Foxit website.
- Open Foxit PDF Editor: Launch the application.
- Combine Files:
○ Go to ‘File’ in the top left corner.
○ Select ‘Create’ and then choose ‘Combine Files’.
○ Add the files you want to merge by clicking ‘Add Files’.
- Arrange and Merge:
○ Arrange the files in the desired order by dragging and dropping.
○ Click on the ‘Combine’ button to merge the PDFs into a single document.
- Save the Merged PDF:
○ After the merging process is complete, save the combined file to your preferred location.
Drag and drop to merge PDF files or pages using Windows
You can merge multiple PDF files and/or pages together into one PDF file with the simple drag-and-drop command on Foxit PDF Editor. Follow these steps to combine multiple PDFs in one PDF via drag-and-drop:
- Open the Pages panel in Foxit PDF Editor and select a document you wish to combine with other PDF documents.
- Drag and drop the files you want into your navigation panel by browsing through your folder.
It is possible to merge only a portion of the pages of a PDF opened in one PDF into another PDF opened. These are the steps.
- Open the Pages panel in the PDF currently open.
- Open the PDF file from which you wish to extract pages. Click to select the page or “ctrl+mouse click” for multi-pages. Drag and move the cursor over the tab named a.pdf to which you wish to combine pages (hold the mouse). Your current tab will automatically be changed to the a.pdf tab.
- You are now in the screen of the PDF file. Move your cursor over to the Pages panel, find a location, and then release the mouse.
Tip: If you move your mouse down or up in the Pages panel while hovering on the page, it will cause the page to scroll so that the extracted pages can be dropped at the desired location.
Foxit PDF Editor supports the following formats when you choose ‘File’ > ‘Create’ > ‘From file’.
The “Merge Documents/Pages” function does not support all of these document formats.
When you drag and drop one of these unsupported formats into the Foxit Navigation Panel, the document will not be added to the PDF currently open, but converted into a PDF and then opened in Foxit.
You must convert the unsupported document format into PDF before merging it with other PDF documents.
Using PDF merge software for combining PDFs
Several third-party PDF combiner software options are available for merging PDFs. One such example is PDF Merge, a lightweight and user-friendly tool. Follow these steps:
- Download and Install PDF Merge: Download the PDF Merge software from a reputable source and install it on your Windows system.
- Open PDF Merge: Launch the application.
- Add Files:
○ Click on ‘Add PDF Files’ and select the files you want to merge.
○ Arrange them in the desired order.
- Merge multiple PDFs: Click on the ‘Merge’ or ‘Combine’ button to start the merging process.
- Save the Merged PDF: After the process is complete, save the merged PDF to your preferred location.
Frequently Asked Questions about Merging PDF or Pages
How can I combine PDFs and files without using any software?
You can use online services like Smallpdf, ILovePDF, or Foxit’s online services to merge PDFs into one. You need to upload your PDF files, arrange them in the order you want, and click on the ‘merge’ button.
Can I use Foxit PDF Editor to combine PDF files?
Yes, Foxit PDF Editor provides several options for you to combine different PDFs. We cover most of the ways to merge PDF in this article.
Is it possible to merge specific pages from different PDFs?
Yes, using software like Foxit PDF Editor or online tools, you can choose specific pages from different PDFs to create a combined PDF.
Is there a tool to merge PDFs on my smartphone?
Yes, many mobile apps are available for both iOS and Android systems to merge PDFs on phones, such as PDF Utils, PDF Merge, iLovePDF and Foxit PDF Editor Mobile.
Is it safe to use online PDF mergers?
Will the quality of my PDFs be compromised when I merge them?
No, merging two PDFs into one should not compromise the quality of your documents if you’re using a reliable tool or software to merge PDFs into one.
How can I separate PDF files once I have combined them?
You may need to split your files again after merging them. Fortunately, the steps are simple to split PDFs using Foxit PDF Editor’s Split PDF feature. Here’s how:
- Open the PDF document you want to split.
- Choose Organize > Split > Split Document, or right-click on the target page thumbnails and choose Split… > Split Document in the context menu.
- In the Split Document dialog box, choose one of the options for the Split documents by item to specify how you want to split the current PDF document.
○ Number of pages: Set the maximum number of pages for each document generated during the splitting.
○ File Size: Set the maximum file size for each document generated during splitting.
○ Page Range: Manually type the specific page ranges you want to split the current PDF by.
○ Top-Level Bookmarks: Split by the top-level bookmarks if the current document includes bookmarks.
○ Blank Page: Split the current PDF document each time a blank page is encountered. Blank pages will be discarded when splitting.
- Click Output Options to specify the storage location, the file names, and other settings.
- Click OK.
Merging PDF files on Windows doesn’t have to be a complex task. Whether you choose Foxit PDF Editor, an online tool like Smallpdf, or third-party software as your PDF combiner, you can easily combine multiple PDFs into a single, organized document. Choose the method that best suits your needs and streamline your PDF management process today