- January 5, 2015
According to the Sierra Club, the average worker in the United States goes through 10,000 sheets of copy paper every year. However that’s not the only startling statistics when it comes to the cost of printing and here is a synopsis of how PDF reader reduces paper usage to help with this issue:
How Much Do We Print?
- 3 out of 4 office workers print from the Internet
- 90% of people with a printer at home print Internet content
- The average employee prints 6 wasted pages per day totaling 1,410 wasted pages every year
- The average cost of a wasted page $0.06 equaling $84.60 every year in paper waste for each worker in the United States
Now consider the fact that one tree is able to make just a little over 8,000 sheets of paper. Which means each person working in an office is responsible for more than one tree being turned into paper every year.
It is not surprising then that the US uses more paper than any other country in the world. In 2012, the US consumed almost 20% of all the paper used globally despite having just 4% of the world’s population
So how much do we print?
Like a lot, lot…
Like, way more than we need to and it is costing us both in wasted resources and money. We need to find a way to cut down on our printing and be more conscious of the impact it has on the environment.
What Can You Do To Cut Down On Printing?
Here are a few things you can do to help reduce the amount of printing:
Only print what you need – think before you print. Do you really need to print that email or can you just read it on screen?
Use both sides of the paper – when printing, select the option to print on both sides of the paper.
Avoid using unnecessary colors – printing in black and white uses less ink and is cheaper than printing in color. Only use color when you really need it.
Reduce font size – by reducing the font size, you can fit more text on a page, meaning you will have to print fewer pages.
Copy and paste into a Word document – if you need to print something from a website, copy and paste it into a Word document first. This way you can format it how you want and only print the relevant information.
Turn your existing documents in PDFs instead of printing them.
These are just a few things you can do to help reduce your printing. Every little bit helps and by making small changes, we can all make a big difference.
Using PDF Instead of Printing
As more people become comfortable with reading documents on their computer screens, tablets, and smartphones, documents created in the Portable Document Format become more attractive to organizations looking to practice sustainability.
What makes PDFs such an attractive solution for businesses is three-fold.
First, office workers can easily create PDF documents using or by printing content written in another word processing program as a PDF file.
Second, anyone with a computing device has access to PDF reader software for free; this includes mobile devices.
Third, using PDFs in the workplace saves businesses money by reducing the cost of paper, toner, ink and electricity. All the while, your organization cuts back on its use of natural resources wasted during the process of creating paper as well as the waste that comes from discarded paper, toner cartridges and everything else that the paper industry consumes to make the millions of reams that we use every year.
Capabilities of a PDF Reader to reduce paper usage
What’s more, not only does relying more heavily on PDF readers instead of printing pages of content enable your organization to become more ecologically sound, it gives the PDF software user even more capabilities than they have with paper, a pen, and a highlighter. Reviewing documents in a PDF reader gives viewers the ability to search content for key words and phrases, allows for a multiple page view and even have the PDF software read the text of the document aloud.
PDF reader software also provides the tools needed to annotate, comment and bookmark a document just as they would be able to do on a printed page.
Additional Features of Foxit Software
Not all PDF reader software is created equally though. Using the right tool for the business world is just as important as its effect on promoting sustainability in the workplace. PDF software such as Foxit PDF Reader 7 provides office workers with the aforementioned features along with many others that make it the ideal tool for any type of workplace setting.
- Some of the features that make Foxit PDF Reader 7 so great for office work include:
- – The ability to open, view, and interact with any PDF file – no matter how complex it may be.
- – An intuitive interface that makes it easy to find the tools and features you need.
- – Powerful security features that protect your PDF documents from unauthorized access and modification.
- – A wide range of annotation and collaboration tools that make working with others on PDF documents a breeze.
PDF software like Foxit PDF Reader 7 is essential for anyone who needs to work with PDFs on a regular basis.
As more companies look to do their part for the environment, an obvious starting point is reducing the amount of paper used every year. That begins with moving from the printed page to PDF software.
The concept is simple – rather than printing out a document, you send it to a PDF reader like Foxit. The recipient can view the document on their computer, tablet, or smartphone. If they need to print it out, they can do so using far less paper than if they had printed the original document.
This is an obvious benefit for the environment, as it can save a significant amount of paper each year. However, it also has benefits for businesses as well.
Here are 5 important benefits for businesses and on how the right PDF Reader reduces paper usage
- The first is that it can save money. Printing costs money, both in terms of the paper and the ink or toner used. Moving to PDF can reduce those costs significantly.
- Second, it can save time. Rather than printing out documents and then scanning them back into the computer, you can simply send the PDF. This can be particularly beneficial if you need to sign a document electronically – rather than print it out, sign it, and then scan it back in, you can simply add your signature to the PDF.
- Third, PDFs are more secure than printed documents. They can’t be lost or stolen, and they can’t be photocopied without your permission. This makes them ideal for sensitive documents such as contracts or financial statements.
- Fourth, PDFs are easy to share. You can send them by email, post them on a website, or even share them on social media.
- Finally, PDFs are easy to archive. Unlike printed documents, which can fade over time, PDFs will remain unchanged. This means you can keep them for years to come, making them ideal for archival purposes.
This not only saves paper but also reduces waste and cuts down on emissions from printers and copiers. In other words, it’s a win-win for both the environment and your office’s bottom line.
Start Moving Your Files to PDF Software Today
If you’re looking for a PDF reader that will help your business promote sustainability in the workplace, look no further than Foxit PDF Reader 7. Contact us today to learn more about how our software can help you go green!
Or better yet, download your free PDF reader right now and get to saving trees.