- January 3, 2018
- Frank Kettenstock, Chief Marketing Officer
Anyone who has used a PDF reader extensively knows how difficult it can be to navigate a document that is hundreds or thousands of pages long. Bookmarking to the rescue!
Bookmarking your PDF—and even creating a bookmarked Table of Contents—is a great way to help users read your document. It also has the dual advantage of making a document far easier to navigate and making the document appear more professional.
What is a Bookmark?
Electronic Bookmarks work much like the bookmarks you place in paper books, with the added benefit of being automatically aggregated into a list in the Bookmarks pane.
Bookmarks are useful for users to mark a place in a PDF file so they can return to it with ease. They’re huge timesavers that allow users to group and label relevant information. Once created, all Bookmarks are listed in the Bookmark pane and can be organized as desired, so accessing the information tied to each bookmark takes just one click.
With full-featured Foxit PDF Editor, you can easily nest, edit, or delete bookmarks in a PDF file if the security settings allow. Here’s how to add them to your PDF.
How to add Bookmarks in Foxit PDF Editor
Simply go to the part of the document where you want a bookmark, click the “new bookmark” icon on the bookmark panel, and voila.
You can create nested bookmarks (or “sub-bookmarks”) simply by dragging a new bookmark directly under another. Save yourself and anyone else reading your PDF document time and frustration by adding this simple feature.
- Go to the page where you want the bookmark to link to.
- If there’s no bookmark in the document, click Edit > Links > Bookmark, or click the New Bookmark icon at the top of the Bookmarks panel.
- Select the bookmark after which you want to place the new bookmark. If you don’t select a bookmark, the new bookmark is automatically added at the end of the bookmark list. Click Edit > Links > Bookmark, or click the New Bookmark icon at the top of the Bookmarks panel, or right-click the selected bookmark and choose Add Bookmark.
- Type or edit the name of the new bookmark, and press Enter.
That’s it—but that’s not all you can do with bookmarks. Check out the Foxit PDF Editor manual for more tips and tricks and you’ll be on your way to being a PDF bookmark expert.
For more details, check out our tutorial video here.